Saturday, October 2, 2010

Communicating When Communication is Impossible

Communicating with your parent when he/she becomes older can become even more difficult, if not impossible. In the case of my father, Alzheimer's disease stole both his memory and his ability to speak. Therefore, when I visted Dad, I had to find more creative ways to converse with him. Here are just a few examples of what I had tried and found success with:

Oral Reading: Dad, as a former English Professor, had always appreciated fine writing and great pieces of literature. In fact, he spent many hours reading selected stories out loud to his three children before their bedtimes. When the tables turned, I found I could read to him ... I never knew if he recognized the story shared; however, I suspect he found this familiar in some way. Doing this was a pleasant way for me to spend time with Dad and I felt good to be able to do this.

Smile: A smile expresses friendliness, warmth, appreciation and caring. And, it is so easy to do - in fact, I heard once that smiling actually requires fewer facial muscles than frowning. Even if your parent cannot speak, he/she may still understand the gesture of smiling and the wonderful meaning behind this. A smile is a powerful but silent way to share and it can be very rewarding to have your parent return that smile to you.

Hug: Like a smile, an embrace can speak volumes when words cannot be spoken. I found that my father appreciated this; it also created rewarding memories for me. I will fondly remember our final hug on the night before he died and the tickle of his wool sweater against my face. By squeezing tighter, you can share your love with your parent.

These are just a few ideas to try when you cannot verbally dialogue with your parent. With some experimentation, you may well find other options which will work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails