Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Everybody Has Parents

I recently participated in a local writer's conference with exhibiting in their "Artist's Marketplace" - a place where individuals could promote their products/services for sale to conference attendees. Of the approximately 20 tables set up, the majority of exhibitors were showcasing books for or about writers, so I felt slightly out of place ... my guidebook is about caregiving instead!

At the end of the day, it turned out that my conference experiment turned out to be quite successful ... I had signed and sold eight copies of my book as well as spoken to a good number of interested attendees. Even though I may not sell a copy of my book to others immediately, I am pleased to even introduce the book to others ... I have realized that purchasing my book is a timing decision. Someone may not need it right now; however, he/she may well need it in six/12 months from now.

Through my conference participation, I also was reminded that everybody, no matter what their background, has parents and may well become caregivers in the months or years ahead. Eldercare is an issue which can affect us all. If, and when, you become a caregiver for an aging senior, prepare (as much as possible), take some respite time for yourself as well as seek out and delegate help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails