Saturday, July 2, 2011

Caregiving Costs - Are These Affordable?

I recently guested on CBC Radio's Alberta@Noon program (hosted by Donna McGelligott). The show is based out of Calgary but was broadcast to a provincial audience ... Donna introduced me, asked me some preliminary questions about my own caregiving experience and my book and then opened up the phone lines to take some live calls.

During this live Q & A session, I was asked about caregiving expenses ... how much can a family expect to pay for care for their loved one? I didn't have that information with me so I wanted to share what I found later through this blog.

Caregiving expenses, of course, can vary dramatically ... this will depend on the type of facility you place Mom or Dad in as well as the amount of outside help you hire. Continuing care facilities offer different programs and services and there will be extra charges (please watch out for hidden costs). In addition, there are both subsidized long-term care facilities as well as more and more private retirement care facilities springing up. The price differences here are astronomical! Are you sitting down? Here are the approximate costs (which can also differ dramatically, based on where you live in Canada):

Room in a subsidized long-term care facility = $1,600 - $2,100/month
Room in a private care facility = $2,400 - $9,000/month
Hiring a personal service worker = $20 - $25.00/hour
Hiring a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) = $50 - $60.00/hour
Hiring a Live-in Caregiver = $20,000 - $25,000/year
Retrofitting a Senior's Home to Remain Livable = $15,000 - $25,000

Ouch! Yes, the costs associated with caring for Mom or Dad can hurt. Even if your family is financially comfortable, paying these amounts can prove to be a hardship. Here's hoping I have now answered that question and I have one in return ... can you and your family afford to support Mom or Dad?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails