Thursday, August 18, 2011

Glen Campbell - A Silenced Singer


Singer Glen Campbell, now 75 years young, has Alzheimer's disease. Surprised? You shouldn't be! Unfortunately, Alzheimer's can strike anybody - even celebrities are not immune. Personally, I consider this a tragedy - while I was too young to remember "Wichita Lineman", I do well recall Campbell's hits, "Southern Nights" and "Rhinestone Cowboy". Having seen what Alzheimer's disease can do to an individual (my father had the same condition), I sympathize with Campbell's family and friends who watch by.

With Campbell's condition, this raises an interesting question. Just how do you feel about this? You could, like me, feel sad that the singer's life is now dwindling and any memories he still has will soon be lost forever. Alternatively, you may feel glad. This may seem like an oxymoron; however, it seems like anytime a celebrity does anything, it becomes public news ... therefore, Campbell's diagnosis may well increase the public profile of Alzheimer's disease and push scientists harder to find a permanent cure.

In the meantime, Alzheimer's disease regrettably steals another life. Family is left to mourn and fans are left to remember. It matters little who you are or what you do in life ... you, or someone you know, may become a victim. I just thought that Campbell's diagnosis would provide some food for thought. Think about it ... there may be a light at the end of the tunnel here. I can only keep my fingers crossed for a cure which cannot come soon enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails