Sunday, September 18, 2011

Preparing for the Podium

I have been working feverishly for the past several weeks on preparing and rehearsing a speech - scheduled for early this week. As an author, I have been invited in to visit a local senior's centre where I plan to discuss caregiving and share a few choice excerpts from my book. Admittedly, public speaking has never been my strongest point (writers much prefer the solitude of their own computers rather than being out in the public eye) so this is a nerve-wracking experience, due largely to the fact that I remain unsure of how large my audience will be.

It occurred to me that caregivers can - and do - experience similar anxieties. Without knowing exactly what they are getting into or what lies ahead, there may be good reason to balk. Caregivers may end up asking themselves all types of questions: "How can I help?" "What will happen to Mom/Dad?" Granted, there have been some times in the past several weeks when I have wondered silently if I can actually pull this speech off ... I believe that caregivers often question their own abilities as well.

My best advice? Grab the bull by the horns and do it anyways! As the old saying goes, "Practice makes perfect". You may well surprise yourself by both excelling in the role and learning a few things along the way.

When I helped to care for both my mother and father, I know I stepped out of my own comfort zone; however, I did live to tell the tale. Serving as a caregiver may well be foreign to you; however, we often encounter new challenges in our lives ... is it better to run from these challenges or face them directly?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails