Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Looking at Caregiving Strengths and Weaknesses

Have you given some thought as to what being a caregiver would ever look like or how you could help an aging parent/friend/spouse? To this end, it is important to conduct a thorough self-assessment of your own strengths and weaknesses. Ask yourself some pointed questions. "What can I do to help?" "Where do I need some outside help?" "What would I rather not do?"

Analyzing, understanding and accepting your own strengths and weaknesses plays a large role for prospective and current caregivers. If you cannot do something (perhaps by lack of experience) or choose not to do something (perhaps by lack of comfort), be straightforward about all of this now, rather than later. Human resource managers typically ask such questions of potential job candidates ... they do so to filter through the applications to ensure they choose the best candidate for the job. While you can always learn a new skill, it is much more time and cost-effective for you to begin that new job with the necessary knowledge or previous experience. HR managers can appreciate enthusiasm from a new hire; however, they also appreciate someone who can "hit the ground running" with a new position.

I well remember hesitating to give both my parents much in the way of "hands-on" care (bathing, dressing, medication delivery, etc). While I could - and would have done so, if called upon - I was not fully prepared to do so. With my complete lack of background practical healthcare experience, I knew that any attempts, on my part to help, may become far more dangerous than safe. Bathtubs, for example, can become very slippery for a senior already unsteady on his/her feet. Unless one knows how to - properly - support a bathing senior, this would be risky.

Instead, I found many other ways to help. I was granted signing authority on Mom and Dad's joint bank account and paid their monthly bills. I helped pack their belongings and move them to more appropriate care facilities. I picked up and delivered medications from the local pharmacy. I shuttled my parents to and from doctor's appointments. With Dad's Alzheimer's disease diagnosis, I became his Joint Guardian and Alternate Trustee.

When looking at your own caregiving strengths and weaknesses, you can also borrow a lesson taught in business marketing courses. In addition to analyzing their own strengths and weaknesses, potential entrepreneurs are encouraged to investigate opportunities before opening up shop. A business opportunity, for example, could be for a book store to combine with a coffee shop (here, two retailers can combine and profit while providing more of an incentive for customers to shop there). With caregiving, can you also "joint venture" with someone to help provide the best care for your loved one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails